Some photographers love celebrating Christmas or Valentine's day most of all with their clients, but honestly I have been waiting for Mother's Day!! I take very seriously my role as a mother, a daughter to my awesome mother and mother-in-law, being a friend to other moms, and my mission as a photographer in supporting families—which I think starts with moms.
I'm so thankful for this "job" that allows me to meet many other awesome moms like you! I notice you. You are good. You are a great actually.
This Mother's Day, not only take time to reflect on how far you've come as a mother, but also to reach out to another mom and recognize her. The most valuable gifts I have to offer mom friends are the simple things like:
- an ear to listen
- a shoulder to cry on
- a shared laugh at the crazy things
- a coffee (or harder)
- a tear at the super sweet sentimental things
- a high five for the accomplishments
- and simply saying yep, I get it. I've been there, too.
This is a time when I feel it is our job as moms to break down the silence created by this false illusion and competition of perfection and "having it all together". It's time to reach out to each other. Lift each other up. Even in the workplace. Especially in the workplace. To be able to say to each other, "This is hard" and still know that we are happy, deeply enamored with our children, and immeasurably thankful for our blessings. But this is the good, hard work that we can't do alone. Let's agree to always join arms. Let's always hug it out and embrace and respect our differences. Let's agree we all don't really know what we're doing, but we're doing our best. And please tell me when I am wearing two mismatched shoes or earrings or have food crusted on me, k.
Man, I love moms.
- Here is my favorite spoken word poem about being a mom to a daughter.
- Here's The Most Powerful Thing You Can Say to Another Mom
- Some lols - The Gospel Of Parenthood, According To Tina And Amy and Tina Fey’s “A Mother’s Prayer for Her Daughter”
- And one about those awesome dads #leanintogether video
Happy Mother's Day to the moms, peeps who have moms, peeps who want to be moms, who are friend to a mom, who are married to a mom. You get it.